Location: Central Bristol
Start date: July 2012
Contract: Full Time, permanent
BBC History Magazine is looking for a new section editor. Reporting to the editor you will be responsible for commissioning, writing and editing content for the news, reviews and other sections of the magazine. You will also be expected to contribute to the magazine’s many digital products (including the podcast and website) and to our social media activities. As a key part of a small team, you will frequently be called upon to assist in the work of other colleagues and may be required to generate ideas for covers, features and our digital output.
You will have:
· At least two years’ experience in an editorial capacity on a consumer magazine
· A firm grasp of history, with historical qualifications ideally to degree level or higher
· Experience in working with digital media
· Excellent writing skills and impeccable spelling and grammar
· A great eye for detail when editing copy
You will be:
· Confident when dealing with distinguished individuals, such as professors of history
· Willing and able to embrace new forms of media
· Able to work effectively under pressure
· An excellent team player
BBC History Magazine is Britain’s bestselling history magazine. Published 13 times a year in the UK, the magazine is also licensed to several countries, and has digital versions on the iPad and Kindle. BBC History Magazine has had six years of consecutive circulation growth. Visit www.historyextra.com for more information.
• 20-22 days holiday plus your birthday and Christmas
• Contributory pension scheme
• Life assurance
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Optician scheme
• Childcare vouchers
• Corporate gym membership discount
• Interest free bike loan
• Interest free season ticket loan
• Sabbatical after 5 years’ service
• Summer and Christmas parties
• Employee recognition awards
To apply please submit both your CV and covering letter in WORD format detailing why you would be suitable for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th June 2012. Please quote “JID 34” in the subject line.
Please note that the HR application database is unable to read text in an email. It is ESSENTIAL therefore that your CV and covering letter are sent as attachments in WORD format rather than being incorporated in the body of the email.
Immediate Media Co was formed on 1st November 2011 following the merger of BBC Magazines, Origin Publishing and Magicalia. With an exciting mix of market leading brands, great talent and technology, the company combines a strong publishing heritage with digital platforms and entrepreneurial flair. Our wholly owned brands include Radio Times, olive, Homes & Antiques and highly successful specialist titles such as Focus, You & Your Wedding and Junior. We publish Top Gear, Good Food, EasyCook and Lonely Planet on behalf of BBC Worldwide as well as a number of other titles including BBC History, Gardeners’ World and the CBeebies portfolio under licence from BBC Worldwide.